Tuesday, August 22, 2017

#58 - Blinded by the Light

“I am blinded by the light,
Of God and Truth and Right,
And I wander in the night without direction”
















Some might disagree with me, but I believe these lyrics are an apt metaphor for this man's entire life.
__________________________

In the aftermath of  yesterday’s remarkable solar eclipse, I have seen multiple references to Bruce Springsteen’s “Blinded by the Light” from his first album (and still one of personal favorites), “Greetings From Asbury Park, NJ”, but when I saw this picture of Mr. Trump blindly staring up at the sun, the specific lyrics above came jumping back in to my mind.

They are from “Flowers Never Bend After the Rainfall” (1966) by Simon & Garfunkel off of their “Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme” album, another personal favorite (yes, I am dating myself) .

The full lyrics follow below:

READ ALL OF THEM, and tell me, they don’t shout ‘Donald Trump’

Flowers Never Bend After The Rainfall

Through the corridors of sleep
Past shadows, dark and deep
My mind dances and leaps in confusion
I don’t know what is real
I can’t touch what I feel
And I hide behind the shield of my illusion

So I’ll continue to continue to pretend
My life will never end
And flowers never bend
With the rainfall

The mirror on my wall
Casts an image dark and small
But I’m not sure at all it’s my reflection
I am blinded by the light
Of God and truth and right
And I wander in the night without direction

So I’ll continue to continue to pretend
My life will never end
And flowers never bend
With the rainfall

No matter if you’re born
To play the king or pawn
For the line is thinly drawn ‘tween joy and sorrow
So my fantasy
Becomes reality
And I must be what I must be and face tomorrow

_______________________________________

Always loved Simon & Garfunkel, but never really appreciated they were visionaries...

No comments:

Post a Comment