Tuesday, August 8, 2017

#55 - Midwestern Values

The very first time your child teaches you something new, something you didn't know, may not seem like a momentous occasion, like their graduation or their wedding or the start of their first real job, but it stays with you.  It is a private moment and occurs with no advance warning, one day it just happens.   It is not recognized or acknowledged, and your child will be oblivious to it.  You may not even realize it when it happens, until you stop and look back and it hits you.  All you can hope for is that you don't miss it, for it will come with a lasting sense of satisfaction. 

My son went to a small college in Ohio to study Equine Business Management; it’s only noteworthy to point out that his education was much more outside the classroom as he traveled around the Midwest competing on his college’s equestrian team. In the process, he was interacting with all kinds of people, all outside the academic environment.  In his senior year, my wife and I went to visit him and watch one of his competitions.  During the visit he and I ran an errand together to pick up his riding jacket at the dry cleaners he used.  He got out of car while I waited, returned with the jacket, and began to talk about how nice the owners were, how beyond the good service they provided, he always enjoyed seeing them.  And then it happened.   He said “You know dad, I never gave it much thought, I guess I thought it was just one of those stereotypes, but it's true, the people out here in the Midwest are really, really friendly.  They are good, genuine people, honest, and down to earth”,   And he added, “It’s a really nice place to live”.

I of course had heard the stereotype of the friendly Midwesterner before, but in all honestly, I had never given it much thought.  But on this day for the first time ever, I did.   I smiled to myself, and the moment passed.

Over the years, I have silently gone back to this moment reflecting on the statement itself, and re-living the satisfaction that came with it.  More recently, I went back to it in the days following the Presidential election on November 8, 2016, when Donald Trump upended the world and surprisingly became our 45th president.

Many of my left-leaning friends were sure Hillary Clinton was going to pull it off.  I was much less certain, and despite the fact that some of Trump’s positions were acceptable to me (I say some), I thought he was a horrible human being, and I thought he would be an absolutely terrible president.  So on the night of the Election Day, I sat glued to my chair with the worry of a nervous parent watching their child act in a play or perform in their sport. The nervousness turned to worry, the worry turned to sadness.  I cursed at the TV as the results came in from Ohio and Michigan and Wisconsin, all of them, in the Midwest.  All of them had been in the Democratic column in recent elections, and they all went for Trump.

It would be easier to say, that it didn't happen, that the swing of just 77,000 votes in Michigan, Wisconsin and Ohio hadn’t won the Presidency for Donald Trump, despite the fact that Hillary Clinton had won the popular vote by almost 3 million votes.  But it did happen, I knew it was real, and that hurt even more.

I have since reflected on the words of my son, words that I believed were true, but I couldn't reconcile how the kind, friendly folks of the Midwest, who had in recent years been leaning left, all of a sudden leaned right, and more disturbingly had chosen Donald Trump to be the leader of our country.  I asked myself, what did they see in him?  Didn’t they see the constant stream of falsehoods he promotes?  Why did they fall for it?  Did they despise Hillary that much?Did they want change so badly that they will tolerate his miserable behavior?

I wanted change too, but I was worried the host of Celebrity Apprentice and the owner of the Miss Universe pageant did not have the skills, the smarts and the morals to morph into a leader for all the people.   While he might be the leader we deserved, but he was not the leader we needed.

Then I remembered the words spoken by Michael Bloomberg at the Democratic National Convention in the summer of 2016.

“I’m a New Yorker, and New Yorkers know a con when they see one”.

With that perspective, I could now rationalize, at least for myself, how the pieces had fallen into place.  Of course, the folks from the Midwest are NOT from New York.  They have not seen the Donald close-up.  More importantly they are kind and caring, and they repay a stranger’s kindness with more kindness. They give strangers the benefit of the doubt.   They don't question a stranger’s authenticity, certainly not the way New Yorkers do.  They don't look at them with cautious eye. And they had to be impressed by the number of times that the Donald came out to visit them during the campaign, and they had to be equally unimpressed with the number of visits Hillary didn't make.  For them, actions speak than words. 

They didn't realize it at the time, but they were falling victim to the con.  They came to believe Donald Trump was their friend.  He would be their voice.  The victims of Bernie Madoff’s scam were his friends too, and while the newly minted Trump supporters were not as personally abused as Madoff’s victims were, they should feel no less aggrieved, no less appalled when they finally came to grips with the fact that they had been used, they had been fooled, they had been taken. 

Their vote counted.  As it turned out their votes were by far the most important votes in the entire country.  39,000 people in the Midwest pulled the lever for Donald instead of Hillary, and here we are. 

New Yorkers, on the other hand had seen this movie before.   They had endured 40+ years of the escapades of the Donald, well documented in the New York Post and other local rags.  They had seen successes earned in New York real estate and the building of Trump’s brand, but they had also witnessed firsthand the failures of Trump Shuttle and the New Jersey Generals and Trump’s Taj Mahal in Atlantic City.  They endured Donald’s affair with Marla Maples, his first divorce, his second divorce, his third marriage and the Donald’s disco days, and they were not impressed.   Despite the fact that Donald was born and raised in their city, that he was one of them, he was not the favorite son.  Donald received 36.8% of the vote in New York State in 2016, pretty much on par with the 36.03%  Mitt Romney received four years earlier.   New Yorkers knew what to expect from Donald, and so the needle never moved. 

A lot has passed since the election results were affirmed the night in November and I haven't spoken to any mid-westerners who voted for Trump since, so I offer no tangible proof or even anecdotal evidence of what I am about to say, but I do believe that in the next presidential cycle, provided that the Democrats put up a half-way decent candidate that the Midwest will swing against President Trump.

I say that because after four years, they will have been forced to bear witness to the actions of President Trump and they will conclude that he is not like them, that his service to others takes a back seat to his personal addiction to the service of his own ego, that his general animosity to those who don't bow down to him does not fit with their own Midwestern values.  I say this because they are genuine and because they are part of the best our country has to offer.

And I know this, because my son taught me it was so, so many years ago.

I’m from New York.




No comments:

Post a Comment